In a previous Christmas post, we shared the recipe we use to bake our German Stollen at this time of year. In this post, we’d like to share our recipe for delicious sweet mince pies.
INGREDIENTS & METHOD
Mincemeat (1kg = 36 pies)
Peel and juice of one orange
Peel and juice of half a lemon
400g mixed dried fruit
250g chopped apples
200g brown sugar
25g chopped mixed nuts
2 tsp mixed spice
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
[Optional] 3 tbsp brandy/whisky
Cook all ingredients in a saucepan on a low heat for around 40 minutes. Prepare at least one day in advance to allow the spices to seep into the fruit.
Shortcrust pastry (for 12 pies)
150g plain wholemeal flour
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp cold water
Important: make the pastry with cold hands!
1. Rub the margarine into the flour and salt until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Slowly add the water, pressing the mixture together with your hands until it forms a dough.
3. Roll out the pastry onto a floured surface and cut out 12 pie shapes and stars for on top.
4. Spoon a generous serving of mincemeat into the pie shapes and cover with a star.
5. Bake in the oven at 200°C for 20-25 minutes.
6. Allow to cool then dust with icing sugar.
7. Enjoy with a hot drink or a dram of whisky!
Also in the picture above is this year’s Advent wreath, which we’ve previously written about in this post. Since today is the third Advent Sunday, there are three candles lit.
We wish you all a peaceful advent and a ‘good slide’ into 2024 (as they say in Germany!)